Saturday, June 27, 2009

Countin the Costin

I don't know what exactly has spurred me on to write about Simon Costin this morning, I think it's just the memory of my visit to the Met last year is so profound, that I feel I ought to write about him, sooner rather than later. I know I won't do him justice with this snippet of info, but the truth is I hadn't heard of him until I beheld his magnificent pieces at the museum. I find his work captivating. I know his pieces embody many symbolic references but I just think they are just pure yummy to look at. You'd never guess that those pretty golden vessels were filled with human sperm, would you? I definitely think Costin has fully embraced the concept of 'trashion'!

Incubus Necklace, 1987. Silver, copper, Baroque pearls, and glass vials filled with samples of human sperm. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.

Memento Mori Necklace, 1986. Black synthetic tulle with jet-bead and rock-crystal embroidery, two bird claws, carved black wood beads, and three rabbit skulls with hematite eyes. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.

Images Courtesy of: www.metmuseum.org

No comments:

Post a Comment